Thursday, 20 December 2012

Audio Edit 1

After deciding on creating most of the underwater effects in post production I set to work on the large task of creating the desired effect in Soundtrack pro for our audio piece. Firstly I  used an atmos track as the base for the peice, recorded form the hyrdophone to create the underwater atmosphere. The track wasn't long enough for the whole track, so I compensated this by copy and apsting the best part of the track and cross fading it ove the end of the sound to create a continuous atmos.I then started placing in dynamic sounds of human activity, such as the door opening with footsteps into the mix.

After I inserted the sounds I needed to apply effects to the sounds to give them an underwater feel. My first instinct was to ajust the EQ in Channel EQ. I experimented and adjusted the EQ in various ways until the track sounded right. I lowered the high end frequencies and raised the low end mid tone slightly to give it the steriotype movie underwater sound.
  
 I then saved the effect as a preset so I could apply the same effect to all the sounds in the mix, editing them slightly but keeping them similar to the sounds were coherent. I then applied a reverb using Soundtrack pros Platinum Reverb. After playing and experimenting with the various settings I applied the desired effect with the right room size and wet signal. I also saved the effect as a preset to apply throughout.


When applying effects such as the EQ and Reverb especially when alienating the low end frequencies, quiet clips began to clip and distort. To compensate this I used the Adaptive Limiter tool as well as adjusting the amplitude of the track. Adjusting the amplitude made the track louder, but using the Adaptive Limiter tool it prevented it form clipping.





The sound piece began to sound and come together really nicely as I went along. When using the idea of the fish bowl glass tap, I decided to create a high frequency tone to emulate an ear ringing effect that we as humans experience. I believed this personified the fish and the sense of space and made the piece more interesting for the audience.

Me and Reece encounted a problem when importing sounds, that we we wanted to include a party scene with loud booming music. However we felt we didn't have the knowledge to be granted permission to use a track. To counter this problem we used one of my bands recorded music tracks. However this was not the style of music we needed for the track, so during editing I used the presets I had made and applied them and it turned out to make the bass low frequency music we initially wanted.

No comments:

Post a Comment